Submitted by Nancy, inspired by: Lentil-A-Roni from Isa Does It
Inspired by the Lentil-a-Roni recipe in Isa Does It, with several ingredient changes and the method completely overhauled and adapted for the IP. This was my fifth try making a pasta dish in the IP, and I was about to give up, but the results far exceeded my expectations!
Plant Based Lentil Pasta
1 small yellow onion roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic smashed, pealed, can be left whole
1⁄2 cup raw cashews presoaked if you don’t have a high powered blender
1 cup veggie broth
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp light miso paste
1 cup veggie broth
1⁄2 cups (dry) french lentils sorted and well rinsed
2 tsp dried thyme
1 small bay leaf
1 28 oz can crushed fire roasted tomatoes whole or diced tomatoes can be pulsed in blender until crushed
1 tsp salt optional
1 pound ditalini pasta or other pasta shape
1. Put the IP on Saute and dry saute the onions until lightly brown. Add a bit of water or broth and continue to saute until onions are translucent. Add garlic and saute another minute or two.
2. Using a high powered blender, add the sauteed onions and garlic along with the cashews, 1 cup veggie broth, nutritional yeast and miso paste. Blend on high until smooth. Set aside.
3. Add 1 cup veggie broth, lentils, thyme and bay leaf to IP. Manual, high pressure, 6 min, quick release. The lentils will still be a bit under cooked at this point.
4. Leave lentils and any remaining water in the pot and put on Saute. Add 2 1/2 cups water, bring to a boil. Add crushed tomatoes and salt (if using), bring to a simmer. Add the dry pasta and stir well. Manual, LOW pressure, 10 min, quick release. Note: allowing the mixture to come to a simmer before bringing to pressure helps to avoid the burning that can happen with tomatoes and pasta when under pressure.
5. Add cashew cream to pot and stir. Let sit a few minutes to thicken.
6. Serve and enjoy!