I love cooking grains and beans in the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker as they come out so quick and so great. Here is a very fresh salad that I make quite often and everyone just loves, especially with the fresh ingredients from the gardens. It is so very good for you and so refreshing.
Ingredients and method: serves 4 – 6 people
- ½ cup white quinoa – rinsed for 30 seconds in cold water (using strainer)
- 1 cup water
Place rinsed quinoa and water in pressure cooker pot, set manually for two minutes. When ready release pressure manually, remove from pot, fluff up and set aside.
If I want to make a larger salad I use 1 cup of quinoa with 1 1/4 cups of water
- ½ cup black beans
- 3 cups water
If you think about it, you can soak your beans in the morning before you use them, but truly, I never do.
Place beans and water into pressure cooker pot and pressure cook for 20 minutes….let pressure release naturally. Drain and set aside.
In the meantime, place in your salad bowl:
(The amounts of the following ingredients can be as much or little as you like.)
Small tomatoes cut in half, or use regular tomatoes cut into bite sized pieces – about 1 cup
- 4 of the mini cucumbers sliced or diced
- 1 hot pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced – optional or use red pepper Feta cheese – cubed, as much or little as you like Purple onion – ¼ diced or use a couple of green onions cut up
- 1 can of cooked corn
Add the cooked quinoa and the beans
I process all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender/food processor until it looks creamy. Or you can whisk the oil, juice and cumin and just cut up the parsley, mint and basil and add to the salad.
- Equal amounts of oil and lemon or lime juice – ½ cup oil, ½ cup lemon juice – adjust the oil and juice as you like. Some like more oil and less of the juice.
- Teaspoon of cumin
- Parsley – I like lots – 4-5 sprigs
- Mint – a few leaves so not overpowering taste Basil (optional) Salt and pepper