Submitted by Kay A.
Fast (frozen to ready to serve in 35 minutes) Delicious Healthy
If you divide the chicken to make four servings, the chicken alone will be 215 calories a serving.
- 1 pound frozen chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick’s Barbeque Seasoning (or any brand you like) • Dash red pepper flakes • 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning • 2 teaspoons honey
- Lettuces, spinach, tomatoes, pine nuts, walnuts, flax seeds, shredded cheeses, etc.
- Salad dressing of your choice (yogurt based dressings are especially delicious)
Spray the bottom of the Instant Pot with nonstick spray. Place the frozen chicken breasts and 1/3 cup of water in the pot and put the lid on. Press the steam button and set the time to eight minutes. (The pot will come to pressure in about eight minutes and then cook for eight minutes.)
While the breasts are thawing in the Instant Pot
- Prepare your salad fixings and place them in into serving bowls.
- Mix together in a separate bowl the BBQ sauce (ketchup, BBQ seasoning, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and honey.) 3. Taste the BBQ sauce and adjust it to make sure it is the way your family prefers. We are a fairly low sugar family, so you may want more honey.
When the Instant Pot beeps that it is finished, throw a dish towel over the top and do a quick pressure release. Remove the top. With the chicken still in the pot, use a large fork and long sharp knife to slice the chicken into 1/2 inch strips being careful to not touch the sides of the hot pot. The chicken will be raw in the middle but easily sliceable. Pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken and mix with a heat safe spoon. At this point, it looks like chicken in a watery tomato soup.
Press the sauté button and set the time for 18 minutes, which will likely be too much time. This will come to a good boil, but will not splatter on your kitchen because the Instant Pot insert is so deep. For the first 10 minutes you can work on other things in the kitchen and just visit the pot, stir a little, turn chicken over, etc., as you monitor the progress. However, as the sauce thickens, it is important that you stay with the pot and monitor the sauce. So, for the last five minutes, you move the chicken around in the pot a little while the sauce thickens and sticks to the chicken. When almost all of the sauce has stuck to the chicken, remove the chicken to a serving tray. Turn the pot off. IMMEDIATELY pour 2-3 cups of water into the Instant Pot to keep the remaining sauce reside from sticking and burning to the pot.
Lay the chicken on top of the salads and serve. It is so good.