Submitted by Marilyn D.
- Soak 2 cups white wheat berries over night in lots of water
- Combine wheat and about 6 ½ cups water in Instant Pot. (I use the soaking water and add whatever is necessary.)
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 tablespoon regular salt
- 2 medium potatoes sliced or cubed (I don’t peel). I use my food processor to slice all the vegetables.
- 2 cups sliced carrots (I don’t peel)
- Saute in frying pan in 2 to 3 tablespoons oil or butter. I do not brown.
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 5 stalks celery sliced
- 2-4 cloves smashed garlic if desired
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- Use Instant Pot multi-grain setting and cook wheat, potatoes and carrots.
- When wheat is cooked add sauteed vegetables.
- Can be eaten at this point or turn on slow cooker and simmer for about ½ hour to mingle flavors better.
- I garnish with flat leaf parsley and serve as is or with plain yogurt.
This dish tastes better after it has been cooled and refrigerated. I make a pot and then eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I have also varied this recipe by cooking the wheat and then adding the potatoes and carrots on then cook the potatoes and carrots on slow cooker setting and then add the sauted onions, celery and garlic.
Everything is approximate in this recipe with the exception of the amount of wheat.