Submitted by Kellie F.
This is a simple route to a wonderful rich dish, but much healthier with a fraction of the time and energy use. I love Julia Child, but I also love making recipes that taste complex in the middle of the week. Now I can!
The recipe is based on a complicated dish, but is simplified to a weekday dinner because of the use of the pressure cooker. Normally a Beef Bourguinon takes all day and is comprised of about 50 steps. It’s so intimidating that most people will never try to make it. I’m a HUGE pressure cooker fan and have converted many of my friends. The idea of making a rich stock in 45 minutes or an all day beef stew in a 1/2 hour and still get tender juicy chunks of meat seems almost magical to me.
- 1 1/2 lbs lean boneless beef chuck roast cut into chunks
- 5 medium carrots cut into chunks
- 8 oz mushrooms quarters
- 12 pearl onions peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 TBS fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup beef stock
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Dry beef and saute in portions to give them room in the pressure cooker to brown until all done and set aside.
- Brown pearl onions
- Add back ALL ingredients (except flour and water) and set cooker on high for 12 with natural release Once complete mix water and flour in a cup and pour in. Let cook until thickened plus one minute.