Submitted by Sharon W.
- 1/2 to 1 lb stew beef cut into chunks (decide how much or how little meat you want)
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 cups beef broth(unsalted or low salt preferred)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, coarse ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 fresh thyme sprig (replace with dried if necessary)
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
Add after pressure cooking is complete:
- 1 cup sour cream (allow to stand at room temperature 15 minutes before adding.)
- 1 T chopped parsley, chopped (optional)
Place all above ingredients into pressure cooker. Alternatively, if you are not short on time, brown the beef in oil or butter together with the chopped onion before commencing pressure cooking.
Bring pot to pressure and let cook for 25 minutes on meat setting. Let pressure drop of it’s own accord. Remove bay leaf and thyme spring. Taste and adjust salt and pepper accordingly. Add 3/4 cup of sour cream and mix well.
Use remaining sour cream to add a dollop on top before serving.