Submitted by Jenny W.
This is something my Grandmother always made for me as a special treat. After she passed away, I didn’t eat this for years because I couldn’t find an acceptable version – until now!
- 2 lbs pork belly, cut into 5in slices
- 1/2 cup GF soy sauce (I usually use San-J)
- 1-2 teaspoons cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 4 star anise
- 1-2 teaspoons white pepper powder
- 2 cups water (or more if needed)
- 4-5 slices fresh ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
1. Heat saute pan on high heat and sear both sides of each pork belly slice (roughly 2 minutes per side).
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add ginger and garlic and keep sauteing in the rendered fat for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer all ingredients to pressure cooker.
4. Bring up temperature of pressure cooker as directed. Cook for 30 min or so until lean meat is almost falling off with the touch of a fork.