Submitted by Kay A.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 slices nitrite free bacon
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- a dash of dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- black pepper to taste
- Press Saute on Instant Pot. Add onion, bacon, garlic and olive oil. Stir while sauteing for 3-4 minutes. Do not walk away or this will burn.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, celery, parsley, red pepper flakes, and Italian Seasoning. Stir. Placed lid on pot, press steam button and set minutes to 10. (It takes about 10 to come to pressure and then cooks for 10 minutes.)
- When beeps, do a quick pressure release. Remove bacon and discard. Add 2 cups of chicken broth and evaporated milk. Insert an emersion blender and run on short bursts until a creamy consistency that you like, but make sure to leave chunks of potatoes. Don’t puree it all. Add salt and pepper to taste, stirring gently to incorporate.
- Makes 8 cups of creamy, comforting potato soup. 250 calories per cup.