Submitted by Ezzie B.
I developed this recipe to help on those nights when I need comfort food with flavor. It’s very quick and easy and tastes delicious! You can make it vegetarian or add chicken. My husband prefers it vegetarian style as a side dish.
I buy the Khichdi mix at a local Indian/Asian grocery store. The mix is 40% Moong split, 35% Sona Masoori and 20% Moong Dal.
- 1 c Khichdi mix
- 1 Tbsp ghee (butter or oil)
- 1 tsp Balti seasoning from (Penzey’s Spice Company) If you want this spicier just double the Balti amount
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- 2 c water
- Rinse the Khichdi mix several times and drain.
- Put the ghee in the Instant Pot and set saute. Let it heat up and then put in the Balti seasoning and stir. Let the spices heat for about a minute.
- Add the Khichdi mix, salt and water. Heat up to boiling then close the Instant Pot. Put on rice setting for 10 minutes. Once done, let the Instant Pot return the normal pressure.
- Fluff up the Khichdi mix with the paddle and serve.