Suggest a Feature

The smart cooking appliance Instant Pot is designed with the objective to make cooking more enjoyable and less laborious. At Instant Pot Company, we plan to release a new design every 12~18 month.  We are constantly seeking new ideas that could make Instant Pot more convenient and useful to the life style of North Americans.

If you have any suggestion and request, please comment on this page.  When your new features are eventually realized, we’ll send you a free product.

Print Friendly

Comments

183 Responses to “Suggest a Feature”

1. Mark says:

Just got my IP Ultra and the documentation is not good. The first item under Pressure Cooking on page 12 says “Position the steam release value to Sealing by pushing the steam release button counter-clockwise”. Having watched some videos on the older models, there’s are two distinct position for sealing and venting and the knob moves.

Looking at the lid, there’s a nice long CCW pointing arrow. But I can barely get the button to move. So I immediately thought I had a defective unit since FedEx shipped it to CA then to CT and then back to CA. So before doing the water test, I had to spend several hours digging around on the web. The Ultra is so new there are few videos on it so far.

Eventually, I found that the Ultra has a great new feature where it will auto-seal. Awesome. Too bad the manual says nothing about that. It doesn’t tell you that the sole purpose of the VERY slight CCW motion of the button is just to ensure steam venting button is in the UP position and not stuck in the down position for venting.

You might also mention where the serial number can be found for registration. Looking around the web, I’m not the only one who couldn’t find it. After all, there’s a detailed sticker around the back of the unit with the model number and all the standard stuff EXCEPT the serial number.

They might also include a pointer to the “pressure cooker base rim and slot”. Looking at the diagram, I saw the “pressure cooker base” which is more towards the bottom and couldn’t quite figure out where the base rim and slot was. After having used the cooker, it dawned on me that it’s not a “slot” somewhere but the “channel” used to catch water, food, overflows, etc, around the top of the unit.

The power cord definitely needs another foot or so. Having the plug in the back be directly opposite the front panel, instead of off to the right side of the unit would make it easier for people who have an outlet to the left of the unit, especially with such a short power cord.

I agree with the idea of having the chimes indicate pressure is gone at the very end of a natural release.

All that said, I absolutely love my IP. Love that the base will hold the lid up on either side. Glad you added Liter marks inside the inner pot as well as US Quarts. This is my first pressure cooker of any kind and it’s really amazing. Especially the Ultra. Love that it remembers your settings for each menu item. I have the “Porridge” menu item set to do brown rice and it’s conveniently below the normal rice setting.

It’s an awesome product that needs much improved documentation about which everyone seems to complain.

2. Kristin Smith says:

We would like to see a mesh liner that can go inside the stainless steel insert. It would be great if it had handles, so you can pull it out easily. This would be awesome for making broth.

3. Bizhan says:

Any chance you can do a function for producing rice with a crispy bottom? It’s a delicacy in many cultures (See nurungji, tahdig, cucayo, guoba). Some rice cookers have a feature for this, such as Korean rice cookers. If you had a function for crispy rice I believe it would possibly gain more market share. I, for one, would already own an Instantpot if you had this feature.

~B

Anna Reply:

Hi Bizhan,
    Thank you so much for your feedback. I will be sure to pass your suggestion along to the team.

4. John says:

Just bought the Instant Pot it works great. I would like to see a longer Electrical power cord, the one that comes with it is way to short. Plus the measurements inside the pot should be in US measurements. They are confusing at best.

Anna Reply:

Thank you for your input. We will definitely advise the product development team.

5. Anna says:

Ken, Thank you for your input. I will ensure it is forwarded to the appropriated team.

6. chris says:

Here is something I would love: I’d love a clay pot insert to make yogurt. Something that is non-glazed and fits into the metal insert. Like an Indian yogurt pot. But big enough for large amounts of yogurt. Because we’re filling the pot up to the max line every week and making 24-hour yogurt. Unglazed clay apparently soaks up the whey from the yogurt and creates a creamier yogurt.

7. Ken says:

The bluetooth function is an excellent feature but is very limited because you have to be within bluetooth range of the pot. If you could allow the instapot to connect to wifi I can still start, stop or monitor the status of the instapot. It would also be nice if you published the programming api of the instapot or create a Windows application so that I could control the pot from my laptop.

Anna Reply:

Hello Ken, thank you for your valuable insights. I have passed the information on to our team for future considerations.

8. Coral says:

I’d like to see a retractable cord, and rice paddle holder, similar to what is found in higher end rice cookers. Also, a lid lock that prevents the lid from accidentally turning and opening if I wanted to bring my IP out, say to a potluck for example. Along the same lines, I’m not sure if the handle on the Duo model is already meant for carrying the unit while full, but it would be handy if does.

9. Tito Santana says:

For yogourt setting, please show TIME LEFT (right now it’s the opposite).
    Also maybe to have a clock on it to tell what time it will be ready.

I am again’st a internal thermometer implementation into the instantpot, because when it cool off, you remove the pot from the machine, so it cool off faster. Having a thermometer build in is useless to me. Because it would require to leave the pot inside the machine alot longer. Making yogourt would take maybe 2-4h longer. But I understand those who want it implemented.

10. Vita Shapiro says:

I would like the IP to beep (loud and long) to indicate that pressure release has completed (using the natural release method.)

11. Cev says:

My wonderful family just bought me the 8 quart InstantPot. I would love to be able to get some extra accessories for it. An extra inner pot and a glass lid would be great options.

Anna Reply:

Hi Cev,

The 8qt. glass lid is currently available at the Instant Pot online store https://instantpot.com/store/home.php?cat=

12. Kaey says:

Definitely a larger pot. 8qt would be perfect. I’m holding off purchasing one incase a larger one is made. I can’t wait!

Instant Pot Staff Reply:

Hi Kaey,

We already have a 8Qt IP-DUO80 product. You can find it on Amazon or our own website.

13. Georgia says:

Please make a white/stainless steel color variation of the Instant Pot! With the trend for white kitchens (including mine), I think it would be a great addition to your product line!

Instant Pot Staff Reply:

Thank you for your suggestion. We’ll consider white colored cooker.

14. Kagi says:

For the future version of the IP Smart Bluetooth Pressure Cooker:
    A Windows computer ‘app’ or program, similar to the iPad app, since I spent a lot of time on my computer.
    Can you test and recommend a few Bluetooth “Extenders”, for the people who need more bluetooth communication distance.
    Option to turn off beep at night, to stay on good terms with family members who need their sleep for a hard work day. :)
    A detachable power cord.

Kagi Reply:

Also, I’d welcome having the display show pressure during natural pressure release. A pot 2/3 full of soup takes much longer to cool down than 2 cups of water used to steam something. With a pressure indicator, I wouldn’t have to guess about the pressure.

Vita Shapiro Reply:

Great idea

15. vru says:

could you have stack-able pots to be used inside this pressure cooker, just the way they are available for traditional pressure cooker.
    will make it more versatile by allowing to cook different items together

16. Chris Carberry says:

Hi guys,

One more thing I’d like is a notification when the pressure is down. Right now I know when it’s done cooking, but having the pressure come down naturally can take anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour, like with soup.

With an alarm when the post is depressurized, I don’t have to keep checking it.

Thanks!
    Chris

Vita Shapiro Reply:

Couldn’t agree more.

Mark Reply:

Having it beeping once the pressure is gone would be wonderful.

17. Greg says:

I just emailed this before noticing the suggestion box here:

I had a suggestion that might be easy for you. If you offered alternate colours of silicone rings. I bought an extra one because my curries started to flavour my yogurt, but I can hardly tell the difference between the two rings, both are clear/white. I usually have to sniff them or hold them up to a very white light to see discoloration on the one. I have other silicone products which are coloured, I don’t know if they have the same properties as standard rings. I assumed you could ask your manufacturer to add some coloring agent to the silicone for a batch of rings.

Donna Reply:

Hi Greg,

Actually non-pressure programs such as “Yogurt” do not require a sealing ring in place to operate, so you would have that option as well. And your clever idea is already under investigation. Great minds… :)

Vita Shapiro Reply:

Great idea.

18. Chris Carberry says:

I would like to be able to write scripts on the computer (web interface) and then download them to my app. That way I would not have to wrestle with my phone or tablet and could more easily type comments and notifications, etc.

Donna Reply:

19. Claudia says:

Please, please, please use a different material for the gasket. Mine REEKS to the point that I have to store it outside between uses, no matter how much I clean or soak or scrub it. I have stove-top Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers and their gaskets don’t retain smell to that extent. In fact, as an experiment I cooked half the recipe in the Instant Pot and half in my smallest Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker; the Kuhn Rikon gasket was a little scented afterwards and but the smell dissipated within a day, while the Instant Pot gasket smelled foul days later. I realize I can buy a spare gasket for sweet vs. savoury dishes, but that shouldn’t be necessary.

[Reply]

20. As someone who works in the engineering side of appliances, here are the two recommendations to make a nearly perfect product:

1. The gasket gets smelly. Whatever material your using I suggest finding a material that does not get permeated with pungent food odors. The ability of this gasket to attract odors is exceptional as I’ve owned several stovetop pressure cookers and have never had a problem like this device. This is a serious matter and I suggest your team of engineers adress it immediately. This will seriously hamper the instant pot brand.

2. Membrane control panels. While they’re easy to clean and they keep foreign materials from gumming things up, membrane button panels have an extremely limited life. I would suggest adopting a capacitive button control panel for at least your upper end model.

Donna Reply:

Hi Anthony, thank you for your thoughtful comments.

While most find there is no transfer, we understand the smell bothers some who are sensitive to it. Many have found that a steam cycle with lemon minimizes the cooking odors, and some have a second ring for more delicate dishes. This is not to minimize you suggestion, and other materials, which also offer comparable durability, are under development.

The control panel does have a protective film which is meant to be removed, it is more durable than some expect, but will eventually develop cracks and should be removed.

We invite you to join the conversation here if you like: https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/

Vita Shapiro Reply:

It sure does smell

21. Alex says:

Hi,
    I saw this on Amazon and it looks great. One thing I was hoping to see when I saw that it was a yogurt maker too was the possibility to set some different temperatures for culturing. For example, thermophilic cultures for cheese making generally want to be up above 104F. Is it possible to set this up?

Donna Reply:

Hi Alex, Yes, with the “Smart” model you can customize temperature and duration by writing your own custom scripts!

22. talat jafri says:

I completely agree with Claudia that given the huge number of single people living alone including the increasing number of seniors every year, a smaller than 6 qt pot is warranted. More is NOT better, even if the cost difference is marginal. I for one like many others do not want to wash a big pot when I can get away with a smaller one. Nor do I have enough counter space to accomodate other necessary appliances like toaster/toaster oven, microwave with such a big IP.

23. Irina says:

I too desperately need a baking function in the IP! We travel a lot and spend a lot of time in our camper, sometimes months in a row and my IP travels with us everywhere. The oven in the camper could only heat a pizza. All multicookers available on the Russian market, for example, have “bake” mode and people post pictures of their softest-lightest-tallest sponge cakes all the time. While I really do love my IP, lack of bake mode makes me research other brands too.If the IP had a baking feature it would be perfect!

24. Justin says:

Can’t remember cooking before IP, thanks for a such a wonderful products, love the stainless steel pot.

Would love to see a direct to OFF feature, skipping past the ‘keep warm’, right to off after the cycle is complete. Many times we like to allow things to marinate through the night and prefer it doesn’t keep cooking on a low heat for hours on end. So would like to be able to hold the ‘off’ button for 3sec, before selecting the mode and for it to than go direct to OFF after cycle is complete.
    Also 0min secret jump button between the adjust +/- buttons. We steam veggies everyday and have to hold the – button down a lot. Thanks!

Donna Reply:

Hi Justin, so glad you are happy, and thank you for your kind words.

Understand your suggestions regarding “off” and “0”, wondering if using “delay” might help you marinade before cooking? Not sure, but if this would be of help it can be preset 24 hours ahead of time. See your manual for “delay”.

Instant Pot Staff Reply:

Hi Justin,

We are adding this feature as an upgrade to our existing models and our future models. We currently consider a simple convention: single press a function starts the function with auto keep-warm; double press a function starts the function without auto keep-warm. How do you like this?

Justin Reply:

That would be perfect to solve the direct to off function.

Instant Pot Staff Reply:

Thank you.

25. Wini Hamilton says:

Could you make a mesh screen mounted on a circular frame to pour yogurt in, straining out whey, resulting in Greek yogurt?

26. Luis Griffin says:

I’ve just got my IPduo50. It’s been great! I love it! But it would be better if the lid was connected to the cooker housing.

Donna Reply:

Hi Luis, glad you love your new Instant Pot DUO! And thank you for participating in our call for suggestions. The “fins” on the lid allow it to be “connected” to the housing “handles” when convenient, but also easily removed for cleaning. Many see this design as a benefit over a permanently connected lid.