Frequently asked questions for Instant Pot Accu SV800 Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
- What is Sous Vide cooking?
Sous-Vide is French for ‘Under Vacuum’, which refers to the process of vacuum sealing food and bringing it to a very precise temperature and holding it there for a period of time to achieve amazing and precise results each and every time.
- Why is Sous Vide cooking a healthy way to prepare food?
Sealing food in pouches permits it to cook in its own juices, retaining the vitamins and minerals from within the food, natural flavours are intensified, food is healthier, more tender, juicy, and tastier.
- Is the ACCU Sous Vide Circulator only workable with the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker?
The ACCU Sous-Vide Circulator converts your Instant Pot electric pressure cooker (6qt or 8qt inner pot) into a precision Sous Vide cooker. The ACCU Sous Vide Circulator can also be used with any container.
- Is cooking at low temperatures safe?
Reducing the risk of food-borne illness by cooking food is dependent not only on the temperature but also on the time. The lower the temperature, the longer the time. Almost all potentially harmful organisms will be eliminated at 130F/54.5C. With the majority of Sous Vide cooking being done between 130F/54.5C and 195F/95C, the food will be safe.
- Is it safe to cook in plastic bags?
Bags made of polyethylene and polypropylene that are labeled BPA-free are perfectly safe for Sous Vide cooking. Always avoid bags that do not indicate BPA-free. Most brand-name zip-lock bags should indicate on the package BPA-free or indicate their composition on the box.Note: Eggs are on one of the few foods you do not have to vacuum before cooking Sous Vide as they are in their own watertight shell. For scrambled eggs, they will need to be sealed in a vacuum pouch.
- Where can I purchase the appropriate bags?
You may buy Zip-lock plastic bags from any grocery store.
- What kind of foods can be cooked with a Sous Vide?
The options are endless. The product can be used on meat (beef, lamb, pork), poultry (chicken, turkey, duck), seafood (fish, lobster tails, scallops), eggs, root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips) tender vegetables (peas, asparagus, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, onions, squash), and fruits (apples, pears, mangoes, plums, apricots, peaches, nectarines, papayas, strawberries).
- Can I cook different food types in the same water bath?
Yes, as long as the food types are all to be cooked at the same temperature and are each sealed in vacuum pouches.
- Should the Instant Pot SV800 touch the base of the container?
As the clamp fits over the rim of the container the unit does not have to rest on the base.
- Is it complicated to clean?
Almost no cleaning required, simply air-dry.
- How does one season food to be cooked?
The ACCU Sous-Vide Circulator seals in a food’s natural flavours, seasoning can be lighter than traditional methods.Note: Certain raw seasonings may not develop flavours in the same way as they do at higher temperatures. For instance, garlic will remain raw at temperatures used to cook steak, lamb, pork game, fish, shellfish, or chicken. Garlic added to the Sous Vide cooking pouch works better as a powdered spice or already sautéed or roasted.The alcohol often used in marinades such as wine, beer, liqueurs, and spirits will not evaporate in sous vide cooking as it does in traditional cooking methods. If you wish to use alcohol-based liquids to flavour food to be cooked with a Sous Vide, heat the wine or spirits prior to, to evaporate the alcohol, use it to marinate the food, pat the food dry, and vacuum seal prior to cooking (Do not include the marinate in the pouch).
Here, we have provided you with seasoning guidelines.
Beef: (approximately 500g or 1 lb.)
- 50 g / 2 oz. butter, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 50 g / 2 oz. butter, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 50 g / 2 oz. butter, 2 tablespoons fresh chives, 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 sprigs fresh thyme, 50 g / 2 oz. cooked bacon
Lamb: (approximately 500g or 1 lb.)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary and 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander and 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan spice rub
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salmon: (approximately 500g or 1 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, 1 teaspoon grated ginger, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
White Fish: (approximately 500g or 1 lb.)
- 2 slices lemon, 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 stalk lemon grass, 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, 2 slices lime
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 2 sprigs fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon
- Lemon rind, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Chicken: (approximately 500g or 1 lb.)
- 2 slices lemon, 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 50 g / 2 oz. browned butter, 4 fresh sage leaves, salt and black pepper
- 20 g / 1 oz. butter, 2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 onion, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Mix 1 tablespoon ricotta with 1 tablespoon lemon zest and stuff mixture into the chicken breasts
- Pork: (approximately 500g)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup apple sauce, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, 1 tablespoon fresh sage,
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 1 tablespoon ground coriander,
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
To further guide you, here is a Sous Vide Timetable.
- Where can one find Sous-Vide recipes?
One can discover plenty of excellent recipes to try online. In addition, we are currently developing recipes for our customers to access through our web site www.instantpot.com.
- Why does a pouch float?
There may be air or gas trapped in the pouch and air is lighter than water. Air or gas trapped in the pouch can lead to uneven cooking. If this occurs, remove the floating pouch, open it, dry the edges, and reseal.
Shipping, Return Refund Policy, and Warranty:
- Where can it be shipped?
We ship within US and Canada (exceptions do apply). We are unable to ship to a P.O. Box, please provide a street address to ensure timely delivery. Note: We are unable to ship to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Newfoundland, Labrador, Northwest Territory, and overseas due to the high cost of shipping to these locations. For Hawaii and Alaska, please order through Amazon. Thank you for your understanding.
- How long will it take to receive our order?
FedEx Ground sends the majority of shipments. For Canada, Canada Post sends the majority of shipments. We do NOT offer express shipping for any reason. Please allow 4 to 10 working days for delivery dependant on the distance from our distribution center to your door. A tracking number will be sent by email once the order has been processed.
- What is your Return, Refund Policy?
Return and refund policy can be viewed at http://instantpot.com/support/return-policy/.
- What is your Warranty Policy?
Warranty policy can be viewed at
- I lost my manual can I get a replacement?
You can view and download the manual here: Accu SV800 Sous Vide Immersion Circulator – English Manual