Submitted by Kay A.
This is a thick, chunky soup that has wonderful flavor, is nutritious and has a low calorie count. I love hunger satisfying soups that nourish our bodies and also allow us to keep our trim figures.
Makes 8 cups. 150 calories per cup (without cheese garnish)
- 2 pounds potatoes (about 6-8 medium) peeled and cut into 6 pieces each
- 3/4 cup baby carrots, sliced
- 18 ounce can Progresso Creamy Roasted Garlic Recipe Starters
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup broth (I use leftover broth from cooking green beans, carrots or chicken breasts in my Instant Pot) fresh basil leaves, finely chopped (about 1 Tablespoon after chopping)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax or chia seeds (optional – for nutrition, not flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
Place all ingredients (except the salt and grated cheese) into the Instant Pot and stir. Add lid, press the Soup button and leave the time set to 30 minutes. (It will take about 15 minutes to come to pressure and then will cook for 30 minutes.)
When the Instant Pot beeps that it is finished cooking, throw a kitchen towel over the lid and then do a quick pressure release. Insert an immersion blender, and apply short zaps until the soup is thick but still has some chunky potato and carrot pieces.
Taste the soup and then add salt, if desired. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese, if desired.
Serve with freshly baked whole grain wheat bread or cornbread.