Submitted by Kay A.
Fast (frozen to ready to serve in 35 minutes) Delicious Healthy
If you divide the chicken to make four servings, the chicken alone will be 215 calories a serving.
- 1 pound frozen chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick’s Barbeque Seasoning (or any brand you like) • Dash red pepper flakes • 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning • 2 teaspoons honey
- Lettuces, spinach, tomatoes, pine nuts, walnuts, flax seeds, shredded cheeses, etc.
- Salad dressing of your choice (yogurt based dressings are especially delicious)
Spray the bottom of the Instant Pot with nonstick spray. Place the frozen chicken breasts and 1/3 cup of water in the pot and put the lid on. Press the steam button and set the time to eight minutes. (The pot will come to pressure in about eight minutes and then cook for eight minutes.)
While the breasts are thawing in the Instant Pot
- Prepare your salad fixings and place them in into serving bowls.
- Mix together in a separate bowl the BBQ sauce (ketchup, BBQ seasoning, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and honey.) 3. Taste the BBQ sauce and adjust it to make sure it is the way your family prefers. We are a fairly low sugar family, so you may want more honey.
When the Instant Pot beeps that it is finished, throw a dish towel over the top and do a quick pressure release. Remove the top. With the chicken still in the pot, use a large fork and long sharp knife to slice the chicken into 1/2 inch strips being careful to not touch the sides of the hot pot. The chicken will be raw in the middle but easily sliceable. Pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken and mix with a heat safe spoon. At this point, it looks like chicken in a watery tomato soup.
Press the sauté button and set the time for 18 minutes, which will likely be too much time. This will come to a good boil, but will not splatter on your kitchen because the Instant Pot insert is so deep. For the first 10 minutes you can work on other things in the kitchen and just visit the pot, stir a little, turn chicken over, etc., as you monitor the progress. However, as the sauce thickens, it is important that you stay with the pot and monitor the sauce. So, for the last five minutes, you move the chicken around in the pot a little while the sauce thickens and sticks to the chicken. When almost all of the sauce has stuck to the chicken, remove the chicken to a serving tray. Turn the pot off. IMMEDIATELY pour 2-3 cups of water into the Instant Pot to keep the remaining sauce reside from sticking and burning to the pot.
Lay the chicken on top of the salads and serve. It is so good.
Submitted by Teresa B.G.
I love cooking grains and beans in the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker as they come out so quick and so great. Here is a very fresh salad that I make quite often and everyone just loves, especially with the fresh ingredients from the gardens. It is so very good for you and so refreshing.
Ingredients and method: serves 4 – 6 people
- ½ cup white quinoa – rinsed for 30 seconds in cold water (using strainer)
- 1 cup water
Place rinsed quinoa and water in pressure cooker pot, set manually for two minutes. When ready release pressure manually, remove from pot, fluff up and set aside.
If I want to make a larger salad I use 1 cup of quinoa with 1 1/4 cups of water
- ½ cup black beans
- 3 cups water
If you think about it, you can soak your beans in the morning before you use them, but truly, I never do.
Place beans and water into pressure cooker pot and pressure cook for 20 minutes….let pressure release naturally. Drain and set aside.
In the meantime, place in your salad bowl:
(The amounts of the following ingredients can be as much or little as you like.)
Small tomatoes cut in half, or use regular tomatoes cut into bite sized pieces – about 1 cup
- 4 of the mini cucumbers sliced or diced
- 1 hot pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced – optional or use red pepper Feta cheese – cubed, as much or little as you like Purple onion – ¼ diced or use a couple of green onions cut up
- 1 can of cooked corn
Add the cooked quinoa and the beans
I process all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender/food processor until it looks creamy. Or you can whisk the oil, juice and cumin and just cut up the parsley, mint and basil and add to the salad.
- Equal amounts of oil and lemon or lime juice – ½ cup oil, ½ cup lemon juice – adjust the oil and juice as you like. Some like more oil and less of the juice.
- Teaspoon of cumin
- Parsley – I like lots – 4-5 sprigs
- Mint – a few leaves so not overpowering taste Basil (optional) Salt and pepper
Submitted by Mary M. L.
- 1 pound raw peanuts in shell, shelled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced hot peppers
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
To skin peanuts, blanch in boiling salt water for 1 minute, drain. Slip off skins and discard. To cook peanuts, add to electric pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and the bay leaf. Cook peanuts about 20 minutes under pressure or until soft. Drain. In a large bowl, combine peanuts with diced vegetables. Whisk together lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over salad mixture and toss to combine.