By Laura Pazzaglia, hippressurecooking.com
This recipe can be used with Instant Pot Smart, IP-DUO and IP-LUX series.
Preparation: 10m; Cook: 50m; Ready In: 1 h
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 turkey breast (about 1 1/2 – 2 pounds or750g – 1k), sliced into 1″ pieces
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups (340g) dry red kidney beans (also known as Cranberry Beans), soaked or quick-soaked (see HipPressureCooking.com)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups salt-free homade stock or bone broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (do not add salt if using commercial stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Parsley or fresh coriander for garnish (optional)
- Press [Saute] and [adjust] to pre-heat the pressure cooker at the high setting. Then, add oil and brown the turkey pieces on two sides – working in batches if needed (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Remove the turkey pieces and set aside, in the empty pressure cooker add the onion and green pepper. Saute’ stirring infrequently until the onions have softened (about 3 minutes).
- Toss in the cumin and red pepper flakes and saute’ for another 30 seconds.
- Add the thyme sprigs, beans, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and stock and stir well.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. If you have an Instant Pot Smart press and start the recipe script. If you have Instant Pot IP-DUO or IP-LUX, choose the Bean/Chili program and use “Adjust” button to choose Less mode to run for 25 minutes.
- When time is up, open the cooker by releasing the pressure very slowly. If anything other than steam comes out of the valve, stop and count to 10 before releasing the pressure slowly (or in small bursts), again.
- Press [Saute] and mix-in the salt, white pepper and cumin powder and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until the desired consistency is reached (about 5 minutes).
- While the contents are simmering, use the spoon/spatula to fish out the pieces of turkey and press them against the side of the cooker to break them up a little.
- Portion and sprinkle with garnish before serving.